IT Modernization and DevOps News Week in Review
On the eve of re:Invent, which we will cover as the week progresses, there are several interesting AWS news announcements that apparently didn’t make the cut for this week’s keynotes. In addition, Q3 data by Synergy Research Group find that AWS is still the global leader in the public cloud services market, as measured by revenue across North and Latin America, EMEA, and APAC regions. Follow our IT Modernization blog for ongoing AWS news analysis from our CTO, Ali Hussain, over the course of re:Invent.
- Our DevOps consulting team were quite interested in the news of a new AWS Resource Access Manager that facilitates resource sharing between AWS accounts. According to the company’s blog, it makes it easy to share resources within your AWS Organization and can be used from the Console, CLI, or through a set of APIs. It is launching with support for Route 53 Resolver Rules and will add more types of resources soon. Our DevOps team likes that it could be enabled when you create resources.
- In line with this announcement, Amazon also announced a new Amazon Route 53 Resolver for Hybrid Clouds which got a big thumbs-up from our AWS consulting team. The new features enable bi-directional querying between on-premises and AWS over private connections. Inbound query capability is provided by Route 53 Resolver Endpoints, allowing DNS queries that originate on-premises to resolve AWS hosted domains. And, outbound DNS queries are enabled through the use of Conditional Forwarding Rules.
- This week also saw an update to AWS Config Rules, giving us Aggregate Compliance Data Across Accounts and Regions. This update makes Config Rules even more useful by giving operators the ability to aggregate the compliance data created by Config Rules across their multiple AWS accounts and/or Regions. This will improve DevOps security, governance and compliance, giving users a single, aggregated view of the data in a single dashboard.
- AWS Systems Manager Distributor was also launched this week. This new feature allows you to securely store and distribute software packages, such as software agents, in your accounts. Distributor integrates with existing Systems Manager features to simplify and scale the package distribution, installation, and update process.
- Our AWS consulting team was excited that AWS has created a new conference, re:Inforce. A security conference focused on the latest approaches to AWS architecture best practices for security and risk management, the conference agenda will cover latest security research and trends from subject matter experts, along with the opportunity to participate in hands-on exercises. You can pencil it into your calendar for June 25th and 26th, 2019 in Boston.
- We’re pleased to announce that Mr. Jessie Burgess, CIO at G6 will join Flux7 CEO, Aater Suleman, on stage at this year’s CIO Perspectives in Houston, TX on December 5th. Together they will share How G6 Hospitality Leads Business Transformation through IT Agility. For more information, or to register to attend: https://www.eiseverywhere.com/ereg/newreg.php?eventid=304857