Driving Agility through IT Process Automation
Automation. It’s a word that can mean so many things depending on your context. For CIOs looking to spearhead their organization’s digital transformation, it increasingly means creating agility for their organizations through IT process automation. The implications of this are vast for enterprises, as automation touches everything from technology, to IT processes and even the corporate culture. As a result, Flux7 CEO, Dr. Aater Suleman, has written a paper discussing how CIOs can use automation to be the driving force behind tomorrow’s innovation engine.Download it here or read on for highlights from his piece.
IT Process Automation
While IT automation can be a broad topic, Dr. Suleman explores four core areas that enable CIOs to quickly integrate automation that will help rid their organization of technical debt while creating a positive cycle where teams are freed from manual tasks and able to deliver more and more strategic, business-impacting work. They are:
- Infrastructure as Code – the automated provisioning of new virtual machines, and everything below them with components, containers and templates. Managing systems with IaC not only eradicates human error — and the downtime and problem resolution investment that comes with it — but also allows for quick, easy, and safe IT change management.
- CI/CD of Code – the orchestrated continuous integration and delivery for code pipelines, with streamlined, automated processes to speed software release. CI/CD of code enables the easy, efficient delivery of quality software while speeding time to market. Download our white paper on this topic here.
- Configuration Management – consistently established software prerequisites that enable code to run. A healthy configuration management process keeps systems in a known, good state, reducing security issues, and increasing agility as when you know the state of your systems, it’s faster and easier to detect and repair any issues that may arise.
- Automated Compliance Checks – security defined as code that provides continuous integration and delivery of security rules, increasing compliance and reducing risk. Automation can enable compliance to regulatory and security policy by automatically conducting security and audit checks on elements as they move through the system.
As technology becomes closer and closer to the business, IT organizations are increasingly seen as revenue contributors and as a result, agility supported by IT process automation simply can not be outsourced. Rather, organizations must learn how to apply IT process automation and agility within their organization for ultimate business benefit.
If your organization is exploring ways to drive enhanced outcomes through a virtuous cycle of greater security, reliability, and innovation fueled by automation and better resource utilization, download Dr. Suleman’s paper, Driving Agility through IT Process Automation today. Or, for additional reading on maximizing the resources dedicated to strategic, business-impacting work:
- The Flux7 Enterprise DevOps Framework, a model for marrying DevOps process improvement with digital transformation.
- Seven Steps to Successful and Sustainable DevOps Transformation
- Infrastructure Assessment Sets Stage for Greater Automation, Scalability and Efficiency
- Digital Financial Services Provider Grows Robustness, Security, and Optimizes AWS Costs
- Fortune 1000 Retailer Accelerates E-Commerce with AWS-Based SAP Hybris Solution