IT Modernization and DevOps News in Review
Underscoring the ever-evolving nature of IT modernization in our industry, 451 Research released findings from its latest Voice of the Enterprise survey on AI & Machine Learning. It notes that most organizations are adopting or considering adopting machine learning due to its benefits. (Increased competitive advantage and enhanced customer experience were listed as the #1 and #2 benefits.) Indeed, almost 50% of 451 survey respondents have deployed or plan to deploy machine learning in their organizations within the next 12 months.
In other IT modernization news:
DevOps Tools News
- Kubernetes released version 1.12 of its production-grade container orchestration solution. Key additions include Kubelet TLS Bootstrap and Support for Azure Virtual Machine Scale Sets. Kubelet TLS Bootstrap allows a kubelet to bootstrap itself into a TLS-secured cluster and it automates the provision and distribution of signed certificates. Now kubelets can generate a private key and a CSR for submission to a cluster-level certificate signing process. According to the Kubernetes blog, these new features mean increased security, availability, resiliency, and ease of use to get production applications to market faster.
- CloudBees support for Jenkins Open Source was announced at JenkinsWorld saying in a press release that the subscription service for commercial Jenkins support marks the first-ever, support-only offering for Jenkins users. It appears that existing Open Source Jenkins users who would like to add support may now easily do so and new Open Source Jenkins users able to add users later. Conversely, if you want to avoid any proprietary software and have support this now becomes an option.
- Chef announced additional capabilities for operators using Azure including a public preview of Chef Automate as a managed service on Azure.
- Amazon CloudWatch has added the ability to create custom dashboards outside the AWS Console, which means that you can now get snapshots of a CloudWatch graph to display on a website, wiki, custom dashboard and more outside of the AWS console. This new feature should provide improved monitoring visibility.
- AWS PrivateLink, which allows operators to privately access services hosted on AWS without using public IPs and without requiring the traffic to traverse the Internet, now supports access over AWS VPN. This means that on-prem applications can now securely access AWS PrivateLink endpoints over AWS VPN.
- Amazon has announced the AWS Storage Gateway Hardware Appliance. The new appliance connects on-prem apps to AWS storage services like S3 and EBS. It runs in existing virtualized environments and is visible to applications and client operating systems as a file share, a local block volume, or a virtual tape library. This hybrid storage model gives operators the ability to use their AWS Storage Gateways for backup, archiving, disaster recovery, cloud data processing, storage tiering, and migration.
- Amazon has updated the AWS Data Lake Solution. Touted as an automated reference implementation that deploys a highly available, cost-effective data lake architecture on the AWS Cloud, the solution now includes a federated template that allows operators to launch a version of the solution that is ready to integrate with Microsoft Active Directory.
- Last, our DevOps team enjoyed this article on the AWS blog about how Narrativ is helping producers monetize their digital content with Amazon Redshift.
In case you missed it, we wrapped up our recent blog series on AWS cloud migration strategy which you can read in totality here:
- DevOps Metrics to Ensure Your Pilot Measures Up
- DevOps Adoption Case Study: Developing a Tomcat Cloud Migration
- DevOps Adoption Case Study: Developing an AWS Cloud Migration Path
- AWS Cloud Migration Strategy: Replatform vs Refactor
- DevOps Adoption: Assembling the Ideal DevOps Pilot Team
- The Best Cloud Migration Path: Lift and Shift, Replatform or Refactor?
- DevOps Adoption: Why Every DevOps Pilot Needs a Landing Zone
- DevOps Adoption: 7 Lessons for a Successful DevOps Pilot
- Hospitality Combats Competitive Pressure with DevOps Adoption
- Survey: What Motivates Enterprises to DevOps Adoption